My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, please visit http://www.cuddlesandcrumbs.com and update your bookmarks.

Pages

Jun 6, 2011

Palitaw: Ube Coconut Rice Balls



I've been reading friends status on how delicious mochi balls are. Which started my craving for some but couldn't find any here. Take a look how Food Librarian made some mochi balls here. Yumyum!


I think mochi balls are quite similar to a favorite Kakanin called Palitaw only shaped like a ball with some filling. I had some glutinous rice flour and ube haleya and decided to make some for our merienda (snack). WhenAdoboMetFeijoada made some using Sweet Purple Potato here.






Palitaw: Ube Coconut Rice Balls 
2 cups glutinous rice flour
1 cup lukewarm water
1 cup coconut flakes
ube haleya


Before preparing rice balls, boil some water on a medium saucepan. 


Stir half cup of water on your glutinous rice flour adding a little bit more of water from the remaining half cup till dough comes together. Firm but pliable. 


Flatten a tablespoon of dough into a circle then fill with ube haleya. Gather sides and pinch to seal. Slowly roll between your palms to make a ball.


Drop a few ball in our boiling water. After a minute or two rice balls will float ladle out and roll on coconut flakes and sugar. Top with sesame seeds.






Ube Haleya
1 kilo Ube -steam and mashed   (purple yam/garadu/sweet purple potato)
1/2 cup condense milk
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 can coconut milk
1 stick butter


Melt butter and add the rest of the ingredients and mix till you get the right jam consistency. It took me about an hour over medium heat. 

5 comments:

  1. great job! Thanks for linking my post, I've made these again using ube halaya and they turned out so much better. Re: Kulinarya Cooking Club, please visit here to join, http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/kulinarya/  --everyone welcome. 

    (Oh, and I found you on Twitter. Hope to chat with you more & introduce you to the other Kulinarya members.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Caroline! Signed-Up already. Hopefully my request gets approved. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought mochi balls also reminded me of palitaw.  My mom used to make lomichi very similar to palitaw only she uses dessicated coconut.  Recently I made pandan balls too very similar too your recipe however instead of ube  I used yema for the filling.  I think ube though would be a great filling... something to look forward to make.  Yep as Carol said, join as sa KCC.  we have challenges every month and it's a fun way to meet other Pinoy bloggers too!
    Great to meet you!
    Malou

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Malou! I'm a KCC member na :) looking forward to learn a dish or two from members. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i never tried this before...you are challenging my food culture, thank you :) now i ll have to research and try of course :)

    ReplyDelete